Wednesday 16 October 2019

Week 9 Story: The Lord Bag of Rice (Now on My Portfolio)

Once upon a time, there lived a small, close-knit village. Although the people did not have much, they were happy. However, a famine struck the community. The crops did not grow, and the hunting prey disappeared. As the elders discussed possible solutions, the food supply continued to dwindle. Finally, one researcher came across a legend that the Dragon King of the Lake would grant a favor to a human, for a price. In desperation, the village sent its most skilled hunter, Fujiwara Hidesato, to bargain with the Dragon King.
Hidesato traveled a grand distance until he came across the lake depicted in the legend.



Hidesato called out, "Oh majestic Dragon King of the Lake, I am Fujiwara Hidesato, and I've come to bargain with you."

The lake stood still.

Hidesato's heart trembled. "What if the legend was wrong. Without the Dragon King, how will our village survive?" But, to his amazement, the water began to ripple, and a great shape rose from its depths. The Dragon King of the Lake was far more fantastical than Hidesato had imagined. His silver scales rippled as silk in the daylight, and its horns were with silver scales and pearly teeth. However, these traits were not purely ornamental. Hidesato noted many scratches throughout the Dragon King's natural armor.

"Greetings Hidesato. I am the Dragon King of the Lake. Of what would you wish to bargain?'

"A terrible famine has struck my village, we ask for a solution."

"I can offer a solution. What do you offer in return?"

"What do you want?"

"A foolish question. I could have demanded a price to steep for you to pay. Aside from your lackluster bargaining skills, do you have skill with that bow in your possession."

"Yes. I am the strongest hunter in my village."

"Well then, Hunter Hidesato. Here is your bargain. A great centipede from the nearby mountain has made a habit of attacking my family every night. If you kill him, I will save your village."

"Deal."

Hidesato decided to stay by the dragon and waited until night fell.

As the Dragon King described, once night fell, a monstrous centipede appeared and charged towards the lake. Hidesato took his bow and struck an arrow into the middle of the centipede's forehead. However, Hidesato's skill was for naught as the arrow bounced harmlessly off the centipede. Hidesato's heart jumped when the centipede decided to focus its attention on Hideasto. As the centipede began to charge towards Hideasto, Hidesato, in turn, shot at one joint in the centipede, but the arrow still bounced itself off. The centipede was coming in close, so Hidesato fled. This became a pattern as the centipede chased Hidesato while Hidesato ran and shot at the centipede in as many places he could think of. Each arrow met its target but failed to damage. At this point, Hidesato had only one arrow left.

"This isn't working! What do I do," Hidesato thought. "What will it take to bring down this centipede? A centipede?" A new idea inspired Hidesato's mind, and so Hidesato placed the final arrow tip in his mouth and-

As sudden swipe crashed into Hidesato. "When did the centipede get here? Where're my weapons?" Hidesato's bow and arrow were crushed under the centipede, whose odious face leaned in closer to Hidesato.

"I can't die here, I won't," with this determination, Hidesato spat right into the centipede's face before it began to shriek. Hidesato ran from under the centipede that fell and became still. Hidesato rolled over the centipede's body and retrieved his bow, now cracked in two.

The Dragon King was pleased at Hidesato's completion of his task. "I heard the centipede's shriek. How did you manage to defeat it with a broken bow?"

"I remembered that human saliva was deadly to a centipede. I didn't know if the giant centipede would be affected, but I thought it was worth a try."

"A reckless strategy, but worthy of receiving praise for its effectiveness."

"So, you will stop the famine."

"I do not have to power to make the land fertile again. However, I do have a solution." The Dragon King held out a clawed fist and opened it. In his hand was a bag that contained one bag of rice, one roll of silk, and a bronze bell.

"Do not be alarmed at their ordinary appearance. These items are exceptional. The bag of rice will always be full, no matter how much you take out of it. Likewise, the roll of silk is endless. With these gifts, I would like you to help your people as you have helped mine. But beware, many will envy you for your wealth. Should you need me, you can call for aid with the bronze bell, and I swear help will come"

With the Dragon King's favor, Hidesato returned home to his village. Hidesato used the bag of rice and the roll of silk to feed his people. Over time, the town grew, and all who lived in it lived prosperously. Although such wealth often makes targets for bandits, rumors quickly spread that dragons attacked any who would harm the land. Fujiwara Hidesato's story grew and overtime, he became known as The Lord Bag of Rice.


Author's Note:

In the original story, Fujiwara Hidesato was traveling and came across a lake which belongs to the Dragon King. The Dragon King asks Fujiwara Hidesato to kill the mountain centipede, which attacks the Dragon King's family. The Dragon King asks Fujiwara Hidesato to help because he was not scared to see the dragon. Fujiwara Hidesato promises to help. The centipede comes every night, so Fujiwara Hidesato waits for the next attack. Hidesato's arrows bounce off the centipede. Hidesato remembers that human saliva is deadly to centipedes and licks an arrow before releasing it. The Dragon king throws a feast to celebrate, and when Hidesato wants to leave, the Dragon King gives him gifts. Hidesato reluctantly accepts the rewards, which include an ordinary bell, a neverending bag of rice, an infinitely long roll of silk, and a cooking pot that makes everything taste delicious. Hidesato returns home and becomes very rich and later is known as the Lord Bag of Rice.

For my retelling, I wanted to expand on the reason why Hidesato was traveling. I also wanted to make the Dragon King's gifts more meaningful. The original Hidesato was wealthy enough to have servants and was not in lack of rice or silk. Also, I wanted Hidesato not to encounter the Dragon King by chance.

From this, I recreated Hidesato to be a poor hunter. I decided to make Hidesato a hunter so he would still use a bow. I created a famine, which would cause food to be scarce and would give Hidesato a motivation to visit the Dragon King for help. Hidesato saved the Dragon King's family, so I wanted the Dragon King's gifts to have the effect of saving Hidesato's family. I could not find a way to include the cooking pot, so I left it out. The original story's bronze bell was ordinary, which I thought was lackluster compared to the other gifts. I made it so the bronze bell could call the Dragon King, so this one event would stretch out over the ages.

The Dragon King and his family also served a second purpose. One question I had was about the economic implications of endless rice and silk on the market, along with people who might want to steal from Hidesato. I decided dragons made an excellent crime deterrent and that everyone else would live happily ever after.


Bibliography:

"My Lord Bag of Rice" Excerpt from Japanese Fairy Tales (1905) by Yei Theodora Ozaki, Profusely Illustrated by Japanese Artists. Source.

Image Information: Photo of Lago Nahuel Huapi. Source.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah! I think your story this week was really great! I haven't read the original story, but once I got to your author's note I could easily see the similarities. Your story was so detailed and precise, and I really like that you put so much work into it! I was so confused when he put the arrowhead in his mouth while fighting the centipede. I thought for a minute that he was trying to kill himself-- but when I got to the part where he explained that saliva is toxic to centipedes it all made sense. You did a great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebekah.
    This story was amazing! I love yourstorytelling ability. Sometimes with stories in the untextbook some of the extra details and descriptions are lost because the author is trying to convey only the important details. I think with this retelling you not only brought those details back with your descriptive language but you made the story your own by retelling it in your own way. This is a wonderful story and I commend you on your storytelling ability!

    ReplyDelete