Sunday 25 August 2019

Growth Mindset Challenge: Success Acronym

"Success" by Nick Youngson. Source.
Struggle
Until you
Choose to
Change your
Every
Shabby
Strive


I came up with this acronym because I think the key to success is effort. If you want to succeed in life, you can't achieve it by passively going through all the steps. However, a lot of people don't realize this. I've had classmates who didn't do well on a midterm because they assumed going to lecture was all they needed to do well on it. And this trend is prevalent all around our society in all aspects of life. Commercials for fad diets and websites that promise easy learning a second language pander to people who look for an easy way out.

What we forget is that success takes sacrifice. If you want to lose weight, you have to skip the junk food. If you want to learn, you have to take time away from watching TV or playing games to sit down and study. If we don't have the determination to sacrifice, every hurdle will feel impossible.

I learned this the hard way when my high school prom was set the night before my AP Psychology exam. There was no way I could be well rested to take the morning exam after staying for the 2 am after prom. I had to choose. Success means different things for everyone. Someone who wants to create lasting memories would value going to prom with their friends more than the AP test. Someone who had a specific academic plan that required passing the AP test would stay home.

If we want to succeed, we must put our best effort in every moment. Otherwise, all of our hard work will be for naught.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebekah!

    I feel like this acronym should be published and shared to the entire world of education. That is so creative you came up with it. I agree that any success or focus, requires a level of sacrifice, whether it be time with loved time or a drop in a letter grade. Going off this, I believe that college is designed to teach students how to balance the amount of what we should sacrifice. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebekah!
    I absolutely love this acronym. The point that stood out to me the most was how if we want success, we need to make sacrifices. I feel like this is something that can be applied to any area of life, and I am learning this part right now as I have started studying for the GRE, and I have realized I need to sacrifice my free time to study if I really want to score a great score!

    ReplyDelete