Saturday 24 August 2019

Topic Brainstorm

Most of my storybook ideas stem from my own reaction to reading some stories as I get older. When I was little, I ate up fairy tales, but eventually, I realized some fairy tales have some toxic messages or other messed up factors to them I mean, deals that sell your firstborn child are pretty messed up (I'm looking at you Rumplestilkskin.)

Story Judge

One of my storybook ideas is fairy tale characters coming into court. I thought this up because fairy tales rarely have logic, so by writing an incredulous judge dealing with magical nonsense could create a comedic effect. One idea I had was a Rumplestilkskin and the Queen having a custody trial . I imagined the judge would be flabbergasted. (You mean to tell me you sold your baby for a creepy man to spin straw into gold??). Overall, I've thought of multiple potential stories that could go into this topic.

The Rumplestilkskin custody case

Cinderella vs Stepfamily in a Child Welfare Case

Jack and the Beanstalk with Home Burglary.

The Little Mermaid and Invalid Contracts with Minors

Loki and the Idiot Gods of Asgard

I've always been a fan of trickster mythology, and I imagine Loki in Asgard to be a sarcastic hipster surrounded by a bunch of airheads.

Loki's sarcastic suggestions are taken seriously by whiny gods, and he has to fix their messes. The stories I may use include Fortification of Asgard, The Kidnapping of Idun, The Creation of Thor's Hammer and The Death of Baldur

With the Fortification of Asgard, I imagined Loki calling out the gods on not wanting to be fair to the smith, only for everyone to decide that being unfair is a great idea. Later on, Loki gets blamed when the smith figures out how to build the wall in a short amount of time. Skip forward, Loki has obtained a horse. People are like, "Loki, did you buy a horse"

And Loki, of course, says, "No, I totally turned myself into a mare and slept with the smith's horse. This is our child." Only for everyone to believe him. and Loki is just like, I'm surrounded by idiots
Paris Tuileries Garden Facepalm Statue by Photographer Alex E. Proimos. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Therapists for Fairy tale people

I'm interested in psychology, and I've recognized that some stories I've read have some toxic messages embedded in them. One idea I have for a storybook are characters going to therapy and dealing with the psychological issues a real person would face after going through a fairy tale ordeal. Some ideas I have include:

Hera realizes that Zeus is a cheater and she needs to leave him rather than punish the mortal women who are coerced into sleeping with Zeus (Let's face it, gods can punish divine retribution are infinitely worse than a sleazy boss making inappropriate advances).

Cinderella dealing with self-esteem issues and anxiety in her transition from family slave to queen.

Hansel and Gretel dealing with the fact that they killed a cannibal witch who wanted to eat them.

Fairy Godmother's Dating Service

In a lot of fairy tales, true love is the main part of a happily ever after. After decades of work, the fairy godmother has decided that if her actions help people fall in love, she may as well get paid to do it. Young ladies around the kingdom set up an appointment with the Fairy Godmother to meet their dream prince. (Some conditions might include being put in a coma, family separation and or abuse, being cursed, etc.)

I imagine that certain packages, such as the sleeping princess might be offered. (Different prices based on if you want the regular Sleeping Beauty 100 year coma or the deluxe Snow White 1 week coma).











1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebekah! These ideas are so creative! I'm impressed. My favorites are the story judge and therapists idea. There are so many stories that make no sense and characters whose actions are uncalled for. I would love to see them in court and read about how they would handle the accusations. I feel that most of them would be confused about why their actions are wrong at all because of the obscure worlds they live in where most of their actions are acceptable. Also, the therapists idea is genius. If anyone needs therapy, its folktale and mythology characters.

    ReplyDelete