Saturday 17 August 2019

Technology: From Class to Career

In previous online classes, I've used multiple kinds of websites, so some of the tools for this class are already familiar to me. For example, I've used browser bookmarks for years. I mainly use it to stay organized with a folder and subfolders for every one of my classes.

Other tools are not as familiar. I have little experience in image editing, but I can see how it would be useful. I'm also curious about how image editing works with different copyrights, such as for images that are free to reuse with modification. Graphic creation sounds fun. I only recently started to do something similar, with meme generators, so I am interested in creating images more.

Twine was the new tool that was probably the most interesting to me. I've written and read branching stories before, but the final product looked more like this:

Do you 
eat the pickle? (go to page 3)
or
trick another person to eat the pickle (go to page 5)
Picture of Pickle by photographer Renee Comet. Web Source: Wikimedia Commons.
It was a hassle to click from page to page manually. When I read The Mouse-Bride example from Twine, I loved how much easier it was to go through the story.

For the overall online setup of this course, I hope to work on becoming more flexible with different software. Being a tech-savvy person is essential in any career in the modern world. I remember watching my parents adjust to specific computer programs and websites so they could do their jobs correctly.

I believe that one of the critical parts of an online class, beyond the actual assignments, is learning how to use different online tools. I started the semester earlier, not only to get ahead but to also learn how to use technology, which will become invaluable in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment